As an individually registered member of British Rowing you receive the benefit of Combined Liability and Personal Accident cover to protect you whilst participating in rowing.
You are covered whilst taking part in all club training activities and competing in any club or British Rowing approved competition. You are also covered for your own training away from the club, including off-water and at overseas training camps. The cover provided includes:
- Combined Liability insurance - covers the cost of defending yourself against a claim if you are responsible for injury to someone else or damage to their property. Cover is worldwide and provided up to a maximum of £10million. For example, if you collide with someone and cause them injury or damage their boat the policy will defend a claim brought against you and, if the injury/damage is due to your negligence, will pay the appropriate compensation on behalf of the rower.
- Personal Accident insurance - provides payments directly to you if you are injured whilst taking part in a recognised rowing activity anywhere in the world, and are under 80 years old. The cover is 'no fault' which means you will receive the appropriate payment regardless of the cause of the accident.
View a summary of your insurance and confirmation of cover for all paid-up members of British Rowing here:
Further details of each cover can be found by clicking on the links above.
What does this mean for me?
Combined Liability Insurance - For example, if you collide with someone and cause them injury or damage their boat the policy will defend a claim brought against you and, if the injury/damage is due to your negligence, will pay the appropriate compensation.
Why £10m Limit of Cover? - A serious injury can lead to a high limit of compensation as the injured person may need long term care for an injury that leads to permanent disability. Examples of where the costs for the £10m Limit of Cover would go:
- Physical injury to third parties caused by your actions.
- Damage to third party property caused by you.
- Legal costs incurred in forming your defence.
- Damages awarded against you following a successful claim by a third party
The limit for British Rowing members is set at a high level that will ensure adequate cover is in place and so you do not need to worry about not having enough protection.
Personal Accident Insurance - For example, if you break your leg whilst rowing you can claim up to £250 as a benefit, or £125 if you break your arm.