FAQs for Competitions

A comprehensive list of frequently asked questions are listed below.  

If you have a query not covered by the list below please contact Howden by email or call 0121 698 8156. 

We usually borrow a number of launches from neighbouring clubs to help us marshal our event. Will these be covered for liability claims from a third party by our British Rowing insurance?

All powered boats should have specific marine insurance, but your combined liability cover will protect you if a claim is made against you following an incident. If there were to be an incident your insurers would work with any other insurers involved to ensure that the claim is handled in an appropriate manner.  

^ back to top

We do various things to advertise our regatta, like putting up banners in town and laying out the course on the river the day before the event. Are we covered for these activities?

Yes, anything your committee does that is directly in connection with organising your competition is covered.

^ back to top

We are organising a bouncy castle for the day of our competition. Will this be covered by our British Rowing insurance?

If you are hiring a bouncy castle you should use a reputable hire company and ensure that they provide insurance for the bouncy castle with a minimum Limit of Indemnity of £5m. Provided that you have taken reasonable steps to make sure the hire company has insurance, and retained a copy of their documentation, your policy will then provide cover in the event that a claim is made againt you. 

If you are going to have a bouncy castle at your event, please contact Howden beforehand to ensure that the appropriate extension is applied to you cover.

^ back to top

We are organising a classic car display and other stalls on the regatta field. Does our insurance cover us for these activities?

Classic cars themselves, for example, should have their own motor insurance arranged by the owner, but the combined liability insurance policy will cover all reasonable, low-risk activities associated with your regatta. If you are unsure whether an activity is considered reasonable or low-risk, please contact Howden.

^ back to top

What are the implications of a competitor from outside British Rowing taking part in a British Rowing approved competition?

British Rowing allows competitors from other countries to enter its official competitions, but they are required to be members of their own national federation and hold their own insurance. In this respect Scotland would be treated as a foreign federation as it has its own membership scheme.

^ back to top

We are using an outside specialist rescue group to provide on-water support and first aid for our competition. What would insurers regard as due diligence with regard to checking their qualifications and experience?

When employing the services of an outside safety/rescue provider you would only be expected to take reasonable steps to satisfy yourselves that the provider is competent and has their own insurance protection. When employing the services of a specialist rescue group, it is reasonable to assume that their employees would be competent and so you would not be expected to carry out any further investigation or clarification. You should obtain a copy of the rescue providers' insurance to satisfy yourselves that it is valid and covers the activities that they will be carrying out.

^ back to top

First aid support is being provided by a member of our club, rather than an outside agency. What qualifications and/or experience would be appropriate for this person?

If you are using the services of a club member, you must be satisfied that the person are persons are sufficiently experienced and/or qualified to carry out the role. The level to which this is appropriate is, however, relatively subjective and would be down to your discretion as organisers.We would recommend that you employ the following test - if there was an accident and someone was injured, one of the allegations made against you could be that the provision made for emergency rescue or first aid was insufficient. It is possible, therefore, that you could be asked to stand in court and justify why you felt that the person given responsibility for emergency rescue or first aid was appropriately and reasonably qualified and/or experienced to do so. If you consider this before the event, you would know whether, if you were asked to justify your decision, you would be able to do so. If you were confident that you could, then fine. If not, then you should re-think your decision and make alternative arrangements for the provision of the rescue and first aid. Reasonable qualification and experience could be varied, from general first aid training, water rescue experience, membership of a water rescue team, RYA appropriate training or any British Rowing training that is relevant to them being able to provide adequate support if something was to go wrong.

^ back to top

What is the insurance position if the first person at the scene of an accident tries to help but is not first aid trained?

The British Rowing insurance provides cover for all members with regard to the provision of emergency first aid, whether they are qualified or not. If the first person on the scene is not qualified, but feels reasonably that to not act and instead wait for someone qualified would further endanger the person in distress, then the insurance policy would protect them if they were to attempt first aid or emergency recovery and then be held liable for further injury at a later date.

^ back to top