FAQ for Combined Liability

A comprehensive list of frequently asked questions are listed below. 

If you have a query not covered by the list below please contact Howden by email or call 0121 698 8156. 

What is combined liability insurance?

Combined liability insurance is the generic title for a single insurance policy that embraces the following traditional classes of insurance cover:

  • PUBLIC LIABILITY: Accidental bodily injury to third parties and / or damage to third party property arising out of declared activities.
  • PRODUCT LIABILITY: Accidental bodily injury to third parties and / or damage to third party property arising out of any goods sold or supplied.
  • PROFESSIONAL INDEMNITY: Professional Indemnity cover is provided to protect coaches for claims arising out of Errors or Omissions in respect of the professional advice that they give whilst coaching.
  • LIBEL AND SLANDER: Includes defamation.

The above covers are provided to you as an individual member of British Rowing. If you arrange cover for your club, you will also benefit from the following:

  • DIRECTORS' AND OFFICERS' LIABILITY: Protection for club committee members in respect of their personal liability for claims resulting from mismanagement.
  • OWNER'S LIABILITY: Protection against liability arising out of the use, ownership or possession of any club premises.

Cover includes member-to-member liability, meaning that the policy will protect one insured member if another member is injured and claims against them.

^ back to top

Who is protected by the policy?

Cover has been arranged by British Rowing for its individually registered members, coaches and affiliated competitions.

British Rowing does not provide cover for affiliated clubs and this should be arranged by clubs individually. For details of the bespoke clubs scheme arranged with Howden and Lovat Insurance Brokers please click here.

^ back to top

What is the age limit?

There is no age limit.

^ back to top

What activities are covered by the policy?

The policy provides cover for individually registered rowers, coaches and the organisers of affiliated competitions and events, whilst taking part in British Rowing recognised activities, which include:

  • Sliding and fixed seat rowing
  • Indoor "dry"rowing"
  • Cycling whilst training for rowing, including cycling to and from the boat house
  • Competitive cycling, when organised by British Rowing
  • Cycling on non-hazardous terrain, such as parks and open spaces.

^ back to top

What significant exclusions or limitations apply?

  • Risks that require more specific insurance, i.e. motor
  • Injury to any person employed (including volunteers)
  • Loss of, or damage to, property in your custody or control
  • Pollution, unless caused by a sudden identifiable, unintended and unexpected incident
  • Any legal action brought against the insured in a court of law within the United States of America or Canada, unless you are in USA or Canada representing British Rowing on a official trip
  • Fines, penalties or punitive damages
  • Damage to products supplied and work and the repair, replacement or recall of same work
  • Claims arising out of, or in connection with, asbestos
  • Repair of defects in premises disposed of
  • Claims arising out of, or in connection with, damage to any data
  • Nuclear risks
  • War risks
  • Deliberate, dishonest or foreseeable acts
  • Infringement of trademark name, registered design, copyright or patent right
  • Medical negligence
  • Abuse - the person accused of abuse / alleged to be the abuser.
  • Claims arising from loss that happened prior to the retroactive date stated in the schedule, which would be the date that your continuous membership first commenced. 
  • Incidents / claims known to you but not reported to the insurers immediately.

^ back to top

What is meant by 'Claims Made'?

This means that the policy provides cover for those claims reported during the period of insurance (rather than the policy that was in force at the time of the incident).

^ back to top

Why do I need a £10m limit of indemnity?

In the event of a claim your limit of indemnity is the maximum your policy will pay. We believe that £10m is the minimum amount of cover to provide you with peace of mind in the event that you were held responsible for causing a catastrophic injury. We have already seem sports related claims that have exceeded £5m.

^ back to top

Why do I need Professional Indemnity cover?

Professional Indemnity provides cover following negligent advice. If you are a coach, this cover will protect you in the event that an injury results from your negligent act or omission in your coaching.

^ back to top

Why do I need Libel and Slander cover?

There have been cases of members of sports clubs having disputes. Posts on web sites and contained in emails could be potentially libellous, for example, and, should your club arrange cover under the combined liability scheme, this section of cover will protect you if it is alleged that you have defamed someone else.

^ back to top

What do I do if I am involved in an incident?

You should immediately record relevant information concerning incidents involving a fatality, an injury involving either referral to or actual hospital treatment, any allegations of libel / slander, any allegations of professional negligence, i.e. arising out of tuition, coaching or advice given, any investigation under any child protection legislation or any circumstance involving damage to third party property.

If there is a verbal / written allegation against you, you should advise Howden immediately, and pass on any documentation you may have received.

^ back to top

Does my cover include any Legal Expenses?

Yes but only for:

  • Legal expenses for defence of combined actions
  • Legal defence costs are included for the defence of criminal actions brought in respect of a breach of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and Section II of the Consumer Protection Act 1987. The limit of indemnity is £250,000.

^ back to top

Are there any policy excesses?

There are no excesses.

^ back to top

Would I be covered for all incidents?

Within the terms of the policy and subject to the policy terms and conditions, yes, provided that:

  • These were incidents following activities covered by the policy
  • You reported the incident immediately
  • There is negligence on your part. 

^ back to top

If I am injured, can I claim from the policy?

No if you are injured you should seek legal advice on how to pursue a claim against the person(s) responsible for causing the injury. However, you may be eligible to claim for your injuries under the British Rowing Personal Accident Policy. Please click here for details of the cover provided or, to make a claim, download the personal accident claim formand submit it to Howden with the necessary supporting documentation.

^ back to top

Does the policy cover anyone who is not defined as UK resident?

Insurance cover is only available to members who have a permanent UK address. Such members are covered for recognised activities in both the UK and overseas (but excluding USA and Canada), provided that any overseas trip is officially recognised by British Rowing.

Any member permanently living abroad is not covered because the policy is subject to UK jurisdiction and the underwriters will not extend cover to permanent overseas residents.

^ back to top

Who can submit an incident report?

If you are involved in an incident where you have injured someone else or caused damage to property, you should advise us as soon as possible.

^ back to top

I had an accident 6 months ago but did not submit an incident report and would like to make a claim. What action should I take?

To claim under the personal accident insurance, you should download a claim form and submit it to Howden with the necessary accompanying documentation.

The combined liability policy is in force to protect you from claims made against you by others. If you have an accident where you injure someone else or damage property, you should complete an incident report as soon as possible. If you have received a letter of claim from the injured party, please submit that to Howden immediately, without replying.

^ back to top

I am a British Rowing member but do not live in the UK. Is the insurance still valid?

No, cover is provided to UK resident members only.

^ back to top

FAQ Quick Links

Rowers >

Coaches >

British Rowing clubs >

Competitions >

Combined Liability >

< FAQ Page