FAQs for Clubs

A comprehensive list of frequently asked questions are listed below.  

If you have a query not covered by the list below please contact Howden

Does my club affiliation to British Rowing provide me with liability insurance cover?

No, you do not receive any insurance cover through your British Rowing affiliation. As an affiliated club you are required to ensure that you have Public Liability insurance (including member to member cover) of at least £5m to cover the activities of your club and its members. You should also arnage Directors and Officers Liability to protect your club committee.

A bespoke combined liability insurance policy for British Rowing clubs can be provided by Howden who will discuss your needs and advise you. For more information please click here.

^ back to top

Our club has worked hard to ensure that we conform to British Rowing best practice through their accreditation scheme and encouraging our club members to join British Rowing. Will we benefit from this?

Yes, Howden will provide a discount on your combined liability policy if your club is Clubmark accredited, and a further discount if over 75% of your club members are individually registered British Rowing members.

We strongly advise clubs to also take out cover for damage to their premises, property, boats and equipment. A bespoke policy suitable for your needs can be arranged by Chris Moon, Elite Rowing Insurance, who can be contacted on 01892 509081 or email chris.moon@towergate.co.uk.

^ back to top

My club is organising an event were members of the public will be invited to participate. Is this covered under the combined liability insurance?

British Rowing has agreed a bespoke insurance cover to protect the needs of clubs, and details of this can be found here.  

British Rowing does not provide any liability cover for clubs, this should be arranged by clubs individually.

^ back to top

Are club launches covered under the Public Liability insurance?

No, club launches should be covered under their own specific marine craft insurance policy (in the same way as motor vehicles should be covered under a motor insurance policy).

^ back to top

FAQ Quick Links

Rowers >

Coaches >

British Rowing clubs >

Competitions >

Combined Liability >

< FAQ Page